Pam Knox, an agricultural climatologist with University of Georgia Cooperative Extension and CRSS faculty member specializing in weather and climate variability impacts on agriculture, was awarded the 2022 D.W. Brooks Faculty Award for Excellence in Extension.
Knox is the director of the UGA Weather Network, managing a group of 88 automated weather stations across the state that provide weather and climate data to farmers, utilities, Extension agents and private citizens. The network also helps support the National Weather Service by providing real-time weather information in hazardous weather outbreaks to support public safety initiatives.
The Crop and Soil Sciences' Student Spotlight
We're proud of our students and want to show them off.
Next up: Mary Logan Tostenson!
Students Triumph at 2022 ASA-CSSA-SSSA International Annual Meeting held in Baltimore, MD
Precision Ag Systems MS Oral Competition
- 1st: Amrit Pokhrel (co-advisors: Dr. Virk and Dr. Snider)
- 2nd: Matt Tucker (advisor: Dr. Virk)
- 3rd: Madan Sapkota (advisor: Dr. Virk)
Precision Ag Systems MS Poster Competition
- 1st: Madan Sapkota (advisor: Dr. Virk)
- 2nd: Michael Goodnight (advisor: Dr. Virk)
- 3rd: Matt Tucker (advisor: Dr. Virk)
C05 Turfgrass Science Division, Turfgrass Pest Management Graduate Student Oral Competition
- 1st: Erick Begitschke (PhD with Dr. Henry)
C5 Turfgrass Science Division in Turfgrass Management and Ecology Poster
- 2nd: Julie Wang (PhD with Dr. Henry)
Global Change Community of the Agronomy Society of America Graduate Student Competition
- 3rd: Navneet Kaur (advisor: Dr. Snider)
Cover Crop Management Oral Presentations I
- 1st: Maria Teresa Tancredi (PhD with Dr. Jenn Thompson)
C1 (Crop Breeding & Genetics) Division Poster Competition
- 1st: Shreena Pradhan (advised by Dr. Devos)
C7 (Genomics, Molecular Genetics & Biotechnology) Division Poster Competition
- 1st: Hallie Wright (advised by Dr. Devos)
- 2nd: Chandler Gruener (PhD with Matt Levi)
Dirt Dawgs Place 3rd in 2022 Regional Competition
The UGA collegiate soil judging team - the Dirt Dawgs - took 3rd place at the annual Southeastern Region Collegiate Soil Judging contest hosted by Clemson University from Oct. 17-20, 2022. Two UGA students were in the top ten (Christine Melley – 7th and Therese Thompson – 10th). Other top finishers included Austin Wiggins and Skyler Ellis.
The top six teams (out of 12) included:
- Auburn University
- Virginia Tech
- University of Georgia
- University of Tennessee
- Western Kentucky University
- North Carolina State University
The team now qualifies for the national collegiate soil judging contest to be hosted by Oklahoma State University in the March of 2023. Way to go Dirt Dawgs!
Above Photo, left to right: Dr. Matt Levi, Austin Wiggins, Therese Thompson (10th place individual), Christine Melley (7th place individual), Skyler Ellis, and Shea Hoffman (Warnell graduate student and assistant coach).
Main Office: 706-542-2461
Miller Plant Sciences Building
120 Carlton Street
Athens GA 30602