MS in Crop and Soil Sciences
Students pursuing master's or doctoral degrees in crop and soil sciences can select from the following areas of emphasis:
- Soil Science: View the requirements for the soil science area of emphasis.
- Weed Science: View the requirements for the weed science area of emphasis.
- Sustainable Agriculture: View the requirements for the sustainable agriculture area of emphasis.
Each student will submit to the graduate coordinator, through his/her major professor, a program of study (list of proposed courses) by the end of the first semester of residence. The program of study must then be submitted to the Graduate School. A thesis proposal approved by the advisory committee must be submitted to the graduate coordinator by the end of the second semester. These items become a permanent part of the student's departmental file and record. The thesis proposal ensures an early start on a research project suitable for a thesis.
Program of Study
- Minimum of 30 hours of graduate coursework
- Includes 3 hours of CRSS 7300 (thesis writing)
- Includes maximum of 6 hours of CRSS 7000 (thesis research)
- Twelve of the remaining 21 hours must be graduate level only
- Includes 1 hour of CRSS 8100 (graduate seminar)
- Includes 1 hour of GRSC 7001 (GradFirst seminar - must be taken during first year)
- Includes at least one graduate statistics course
- Must be completed within a six-year timeframe
- Includes major professor and at least two other members
- May have two co-major professors, in which case one has to be from the Crop and Soil Sciences department
- May include a non-UGA member with terminal degree
- Majority of committee must have UGA graduate faculty status
Admission Requirements for both M.S. and Ph.D. programs:
- Transcripts in English
- Letter of intent (Statement of Purpose)
- 3 Letters of Reference
- GPA > 3.0 for M.S. students
- GPA > 3.5 for Ph.D. students
- TOEFL or IELTS scores for international applicants
- Minimum TOEFL score requirement: overall score of 80 with at least 20 on speaking and writing
- Minimum IELTS score requirement: overall band-width of 6.5, with no single band (score) below 6.0.
- Ph.D. applicants must have an M.S.